Monday, September 28, 2009

A Magical Blast From The Past

I wanted to share this with you all.
Well this farm house I live in is just down the road from my other half's parents house and they have a Centennial Farm. His grandparents homesteaded the farm they live on. This house used to belong to my other half's late Uncle (Fred). As a child I would drive by this farm with my folks and think "I would love to live there" since it was so pretty and his Uncle kept it Tip Top all the time. Beautiful lawn and Barn and so on. I did not know my other half then either.
Here is the good part, the part about attracting things from the Universe. In my adult life I started dating my other half (we went to highschool together but never dated until after I was married and divorced). His folks had purchased this farm from his Uncle so that it would expand their farm. Thus my other half got the house and after 10 years of dateing I moved in and sold my place.This old house has a bomb shelter in the basement that was used to store things and can goods. The reason I mention that is because we just have never bothered to completely clean some areas of the house out. I guess we are saving it I really dont know why we have not done these things but anyway, today I am going through a drawer in the kitchen that contains some of his late Aunts (Olive) cookbooks and recipes, her candy thermometer and so on. I keep tea in that drawer, but I have never in 10 years looked through the stuff in the drawer. I clean the drawer and put it all back. Today I decided that I might look through the stuff just for fun. I found all kinds of cool stuff, Hershey's cocoa cook book 1936, Watkins handbook, 7 UP cookbook, A cook book that the Detroit Free Press put out from 1925. There is Knox gelatin cook book too. Along with a huge variety of other cool old cook books. Anyway I found an envelope that was mailed to his late Aunt (Olive). It says "Good Cole Slaw" on the outside above the mailing address. I open it and read the hand written recipe. At the bottom of the paper it has a little note. The note says " I think you will like this recipe it is good and I usually make 2-3 batches, of course I like to treat the neighbors too. This is the kind May Kimball (a local woman I am familiar with) use in her restaurant". Then its signed Clara. I thought" I wonder who Clara was"? I turned the envelope around and read the return address. It was my Great Grandmother Clara . She had mailed the recipe to my other half's Aunt Olive Skinner on October 5, 1968.I had a sudden rush of tears. I really have no answer for the tears other than I felt for some reason my Great Grandmother wanted me to find that recipe. I think everything happens for a reason I feel that there is something more to this than just coleslaw. I think it is some sort of reminder some life lesson or illistration, but I really dont know yet, What do you all think

No comments: