Thursday, October 23, 2008

And So It Begins

Yep fall is fast becoming its evil counter part "winter". Oh we don't have snow yet but they are warning us that we will see some on Sunday (yuk) you would think I would move someplace warmer. Realy no other place I can imagine to live that has what we have. I live about 30 miles from the West Coast of Michigan and if you have ever been here you would know why we all stick out the winter here. I knew the other day we had had one of our last nice days. I felt like an old friend was leaving town and would not be back soon. So sad.
Well the puddy tat is being a trooper and not picking on Found Her, but he is a bit of a stoner, yep a stoner. I have cat nip planted in a planter in the flower bed by the barn doors. I picked all the long stems of cat nip and hung it to dry and covered my roses and plants with straw so they had nice warm beds for winter but Cat keeps digging up the flower pot to get to the remaining cat nip. This morning I discovered he has managed to pull down the hanging budle of nip and was eating it. You never know what you might get when you take in a stranger HE he He. His herbal flea collar should come this week so maybe we can get rid of the darn fleas he has, poor thing. Horses are really getting wooley like big stuffed animals. Winter wool is soft and squishy, Mare gets a much longer coat than Gelding but they won't get too thick cause they go in each night. Looks like we will be looking to get more hay I started with 240 bales and did not plan to feed until October but had to have some in the summer until we got some rain again so I fed some of it through August and September, and I had some that moulded on the bottom so I sold it to a friend with cattle Lost about 25 bales that way. Figured on putting away some rounds rounds are those large round bales you see out in the field. With horses you have to be very careful though because they cant have mouldy hay and the rounds sometimes have mould if your farmer has not taken good care to keep it out of the weather. I guess I need to get that done. I hate the hay hastle. Price is high and handling the bales is darn hard work and it just never ends even if you have pasture like I do you need a small amount in summer if you put horses in at all. Well I have mouths to feed at the barn and they are expecting me soon so that will be all the clever thoughts I can muster for today.

No comments: